Crashes Happen!

 So as some of you know from my facebook pictures I crashed on my way up to meet Art for a hammer ride, crashes happen! usually when we least expect them to. I have ridden that section of side walk almost every day its only a mile from my house, but today was different the city has been putting in new side walk corners and its had me irritated since they started as they tore them all out at once for a full 4 mile stretch and its forced me to ride in the road. This downhill S-Turn was freshly dried cement and now they put some sort of coating on that cement and it made that corner slick as ice. I came around like I have hundreds of times not expecting anything different and I found myself on the ground, I sat there for a minuet spitting out a few choice words gathered myself and kept riding as a matter of fact we did our hammer ride and I finished with 33 miles.

Crashing happens, some stupid and unexpected and some from pushing the limit, and they have happened in just about every sport I have ever been involved in, this winter I caught a gate ski racing and it sent me a flying snapped the gate in two, better the gate than my leg, again I gathered myself and did my second run. I understand that there is always a risk, but I really don't think about it, for this reason I don't watch crash videos or those showing people getting hurt don't want those images in my thoughts on the other hand I love the adrenaline rush of riding single track on the brink, jump into an open bowl and skiing a really steep run, ski racing a course as fast as you can, back in the day it was moguls and aerials, never got hurt in the air, always the landing!! Its a wonderful feeling your heart rate and breathing are increased, you have this total feeling of focus its euphoric at times.  I have been on the other end as well taken off the hill in a backboard, broken every rib in my body, broken leg, more cuts scratches and contusions than the average person, at least 3-4 concussions, none of them ever stopped me from enjoying what I like, some might call it stupid, but its how I'm wired and how I think many mountain bikers are skiers are wired, we simply don't ride or ski, we ride or ski on that edge between total control and total disaster, and every so often disaster wins. I wouldn't consider todays crash on the brink, todays crash just happened! Those happen once in awhile, yes crashes happen! So as I go to bed tonight dreading waking up in the morning as I know what awaits me LoL, and several of my friends whom have also had misfortune this week,  I think about my favorite quote:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming – "WOW – What a Ride!"


Picture of me back in like 2000 crashing, I think it may have been Ft Custer


Comments