Bike 4 Peaks Stage 1 Ruhpolding Germany to Lofer Austria

Stage 1 Garmin Data:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/330835652

After a good nights sleep, day 1 of the Bike 4 Peaks is here, I woke up at 6am so I could eat my breakfast 3 hours before race time as always, a little bit nervous but actually not to much, more excited! I looked out the window and the sun was shining, awesome as the weather was a big question mark. After some yogurt, cereal, a couple energy bars we packed up and left for the start line in Ruhpolding. Once I got there I think I left the camper twice and headed back for things I forgot, yah my Camelbak LoL that whole on 1 bottle not gonna happen. Once at the start line I talked to people from all over, being #930 I was waaaay in the back, they announced that there were riders from 35 different countries, the International flair is very cool, I've met riders from all over.

Riders Ready to Roll
Standing at the start in Ruhpolding
10am sharp we took off, lots of people in the town and even outside to cheer us on they had bells, horns, and even people hitting two pieces of foam together. The first 10 miles was all pavement thru town and then on a two lane road that left town. It got quit interesting as we took up the whole road and traffic was still coming the opposite way, they did have police lead out that made the car pull over but every time we got to a car or semi, riders had to merge over to get around and it caused a bottle neck, lots of slow downs.  Now we finally arrived at the dirt and this reminded me totally of Leadville's first climb up St Kevins, steep and totally bottle necked, at one point it got so steep that everyone had to walk, it was crazy. Once up a bit then it turned into a nice wide two track road with a steady climb, nothing to steep just constant, I was feeling pretty good and I'm sure some adrenaline was also helping me out. After some climbing we came to paved descent, because of the flooding we didn't quit go all the way to the top of the first climb. After the first climb it was lots of Alpine woods riding very beautiful mountains all around you, still lots of little climbs that stole energy. Then came the base of the todays major climb, we followed the most beautiful river up into the mountain, water falls, flowing mountain water it was a forest road. Then things got steeper once we left the river, I was starting to feel my muscles fatigue, I don't think it was nutrition, we just dont have this kind of climbing available to us these guys and girls here in Europe are so strong because they do, but I found out today that it is illegal to build any kind of single track in Germany unless its a bike park. Once we got up over the tree line things seemed to get a bit better, I thought oh sweet this isnt so bad, but they I looked up and saw riders on this trail that went to the top of the ski resort, I thought wholly crap thats crazy, they were all walking! I got there and thought to myself this has to be the top, well it was but there was still climbing on the descents, what the heck I need some down time!! Finally I got the where it was all downhill hill to Lofer Austria, oh yah when we crossed over the tree's were marked with an Austrian flag. The descent reminded me allot of coming down Columbine, switchbacks and high speed, you could see where there were lots of skid marks on each corner. It was a good long descent and gave my legs some time to recover, once at the bottom I thought ok good shouldnt be long now, wrong! I wasnt quit at the bottom yet and thru in this hellish section of rocky rooted muddy soaked single track, I only rode half before I dismounted and ran down like the rest of the riders around me, seeing an ambulance the the entrance should have been a clue. I got to the bottom of that and standing in front of me on the next forest road was a bunch of cattle, oh great now what do I do all I see is horns, well the first one got out of my way the rest followed me for a bit and back off. Now I finally hit the bike path and thought it had to be close, nope wrong again, some guy yells at me 5k to go, well if its all pavement no problem, nope wrong again they thru in some field and a very cool section of forest, then thru town and finally I saw the finish line, it was on the other side of the street how do I get there? this guy guides to a tunnel that went under the road, I head down turn and the damn thing is flooded with water, ughh all that way and I get soaked in the last 1k. Now I could see the finish, I rode thru and was met by my cousin. My bike was mess I was a mess so they directed me to the bike wash station, fire hoses that were pumping flooded sections of the town.

Bike Wash
After washing the bike, we headed back to the camper, because the campground was flooded they let us all camp in town by the city pool, nice we had electricity, bathrooms and showers...community showers, but not coed. So I changed and went to clean up, walked in and here was a Belgian pro team all enjoying a shower together so I stripped and joined in, I think at one point there were 5 of us under 2 shower heads, Ladies you would be smiling. After one of them dried me off....no just kidding sheesh! I headed back to the camper where my cousin had paid for me to get a massage from the German Pro team that was camped behind us, oh man that was awesome, I must my cousin and her husband have been taking such great care of me, helping me with everything, Dieter completely cleaned my bike while I was getting my legs rubbed, my cousin Traudle washed my clothes, dried out an cleaned my shoes, I almost feel like I'm part of a pro team, they have been nothing but awesome. After some R & R I went to the nightly Pasta party awards ceremony where I had Pasta noodles with Pig Roast, there we watched all the awards for the day given out, and they give us a briefing on the next stage, so far it will be the same as they posted. I still cant believe how much beer they drink at the pasta party, must be something to it seems like everyone is damn fast.

Pasta Party
Sauser & Lakata getting awards
So after I headed back to the camper, and am now just relaxing and writing about my day, my legs feel like crap, my stomach feels like crap, and I'm tired, but tomorrow I'll go at it again and its suppose to the hardest stage of the race! One day at the time!! At least I can race the woman staying in the camper across the street from us had her bike shoes stolen.
140 started in my class, 121 finished, I'm 108th
Lofer Austria, lots of snow up there!









Comments