Day #5 Courmayeur Italy

Woke up this morning to rain in Chamonix, it was suppose to be our day trip to Verbier Switzerland,  we decided to go to Courmayeur Italy as it is half the driving distance.  We arrive to the bus station, I go to pick up my bus ticket and the woman  tells me in order to get the discount I must validate my ski pass,  need to cross the bridge the office is on the other side of the river,  I start to walk away and think out loud, F$$k that, I'll just pay the extra 7 euros, this australian guy looks over at me and says "I like you style" LoL, I get back in line and tell the woman to just charge me full price boy did she get snotty that I didn't cross the bridge. We boarded the bus and off we went, within 15 min we were at the entrance to the Mont Blanc tunnel, I believe its the longest tunnel in europe its takes a good 20 min to pass thru and right on the other side is Courmayeur Italy.

Eric carrying his ski's the Euro way

Our bus to Italy
Exiting the tunnel we were just amazed at how much it was snowing, I mean it was dumping!! this was going to be another great powder day if we can  see where were skiing. The bus dropped us off at the  ski resort and we were told that we would be picked up in the town center about a 10 min walk away.  Eric and I head up to the tram and our passes didn't work so had to get them validated, got on the tram and up we went.  Once at the top we had decided that we needed to find some runs with tree's out in the open you couldn't see a thing it was snowing so hard. We worked our way around the resort when came upon a few fun areas that had anywhere from knee to waist deep powder.

At the top of Coumayeur, getting ready to ski some POW


So much snow!

Snow beard, a sign its a great day!


Eric in the snow dump!

After a few hours we decided on some lunch, we had brought some sandwiches along, but when I saw minestrone soup on the menu I had to have it, one of my favorite soups, I had a bowl of that and a coffee latte.  We finished up and headed back out this time to a different part of the mountain, mind you this whole time its just dumping powder snow, I was so happy all week to have my powder ski's. We found a few more fun deep snowy runs again we stuck near the tree's, at one point Eric ski over to what looked like a nice drop, I watched him look around and he yelled to me to stay put, there was a river at the bottom, ughh don't need to get wet, and the snow was so deep he actually got stuck in there.  After awhile we found a run that was very little tracked, had knee to waist deep powder and stuck to it, we had so much fun there, at one point I jumped between two pine tree's, funny thing another guy had tried this and got stuck in the tree well. We continued this run for a couple hours and then decided we needed to have some drinks, so the two of us headed to the bar at the bottom, Eric had a beer and I had my red wine.

Time for a break,  the kids had just finished

Minestrone soup and a coffee

After a few glasses each we head back down to the base, we needed to be in the town center by 5:30pm. Now we were told that there would be a local shuttle but to take us to the pick up point but that never happened. A group of us decided to start walking,when Eric decided that there was so much snow on this road we could ski to town and thats what we did, yes we were skiing down a highway. I think the people passes us in cars thought we were nuts but it got us to the town square in no time. There we went into another bar, had some more wine and met up with a Fireman from Alaska who was traveling europe by himself, we talked with him for quit some time. Finally the bus showed up and off we went back to Chamonix, there the streets were full of slush and muck they must have had quit a mix of rain and snow, we made great choice going to Italy.

Walking to the bus stop later we would ski down the road

The town of Courmayeur, so much snow!

Walking back to the apartment I passed the outdoor bar where we had our daily cup of hot wine and I saw our Irish friends Orla, Jenny and Jackie who had skied Vallee Blanche with us the day before so I stopped and had a wine, Eric had to return his ski's but eventually he showed and we all enjoyed a final drink together, the 5 of us along with Rachel from England will forever be bonded by our day on the mountain, it was one none of us will ever forget.

After getting back to Chamonix we ran into our friends Orla, Jackie and Jenny for a hot wine
After Eric and I returned to the room, cleaned up and for the second time this week went to Cousin Alberts for dinner, its just up the street and the food is excellent!! I had steak and fries and Eric had duck, for dessert I had Lemon Italian Ice with vodka, wow yummy and simple!! I also liked the restaurant because the Chef came out from the kitchen and asked how our food was, then proceeded to sit down at each of the 3 tables that were still there and did a shot of a local liquor called "Le Genepl" its made from locally found mountain plants, excellent tasting shot unlike anything I have ever had, might have to find some to bring home. We said our goodbye's to Cousin Albert and went back to the took so Eric could pack, tomorrow I'm on my own!

Chef Albert having a shot of Genepi with guests

Our turn to enjoy a shot with the Chef

I loved this restaurant and it was a short walk from the Apartment.....Highly recommended

Comments