Day #6 Back to Brevent-Flegere

Last day in Chamonix, this morning Eric left to spend the weekend in Paris so I was on my own for a day, it was kind of a snowy sleeting mix coming down and rather than take a bus anyplace I skied out the back for another day at  Brevent-Flegere.  The gondola to this resort was literally outside our door, you skated up to a beginner area with some Poma's took one up the hill and skied half way down to the gondola. It was snowing up top and looking like another day of powder, so I went played around in the off piste but never to far from a piste run since I was on my own. After a few runs I met a young snowboarder, he and his girlfriend had decided to quit their post college jobs and become ski bums in France.  On the way up I showed him a steep drop I had skied that was full of powder, he asked how I had gotten over, rather than tell him I asked him to follow me. Once we got there I dropped in and he soon followed he was happy to have found some steep powder and decided to ski with me for few hours. Super nice kid I don't remember his name or where he was from, we talked allot on the rides up and enjoyed the powder on the way down, he showed me a few stashes as well it was nice to actually have someone to ski with.

Representing my hometown of Detroit with my DST jacket
Soon the snow turned to rain/sleet and we both decided to call it day,  he happen to be going back down the same way and rather than get wet skiing down to the apartment I rode the Gondola down, what a fun week it has been.  I wore my Detroit Ski Team Carhartt jacket today, and am so happy with it, even in the rain it kept me completely dry if your interested in getting one look up Detroit Ski Team on Facebook.

Which way?????
Once back at the room I cleaned up, packed and headed over to Cousin Alberts once again for dinner, Chef Albert met me at the door and seated me, I ordered my wine and dinner and after he sat down and had a shot of the local liquor called Genepi.  I headed into town and did a little shopping and walked around enjoying one last evening in Chamonix, I even bought myself a bottle of Genepi to bring home and share with friends. I was invited to a private party that night but decided to just get back and into bed, I had allot of traveling ahead of me, what an awesome week it has been and I will be back to Chamonix some day. The next morning I got up early and started my journey back home, and now I have one more flight from Chicago to Detroit and I'm home sweet home, last night I met up with my buddy Mike who ives in Chicago , we stopped for beer and pizza it was great to see him again.

The whole week was just unbelievable, but I must say climbing and skiing the Vallee Blanche was the highlight, after that I had the same feeling of satisfaction that I have experienced only at Leadville and Bike 4 Peaks.

Comments