Leadville Day 4 Sugarloaf Pass/Powerline


Today we said good bye to our new friend Philip as he continues his ride around the world, we wished him luck, took a few pictues and head off on our ride. As always met up with the group in town at 9am, today we planned on riding up Sugarloaf Pass to Powerline and then down the infamous Powerline! This route kept us close to town incase we ran into rain again today, so far rain has been predicted every day and we have been disappointed. 

The group getting ready to head out photo by Philip Malone
We headed down the valley to Hagerman pass which takes us around Turquoise Lake to the base of Sugarloaf Pass, just before getting to the pass Art stopped us all and showed up a Ospry nest.

Osprey Nest with chick

Turquoise Lake
Riding up Hagermans Pass photo by Bobby Smith
Todays ride has such beautiful views of the lake, we headed up Sugarloaf pass and I was feeling much better than yesterday, starting to acclimate :) Its a long gradual climb to the top at one point I heard a 4 wheeler coming up behind me and I was in an area where I had to pull over and stop there wasn't enough room for both of us on the trail, there was a forest ranger riding it. I just stayed in a comfortable spin and kept going, I pass Art as he had stopped to fix something in the trail, a few minuets later he passed by me and says "boy I can really smell cat pee back there" and kept going, Ughh here I am the last person in the group and I got scared that I was going to be eaten by this cat! So I picked up the pace and finally we were back together again as a group. I haven't descended Powerline in quit a few years and its different every year from the water erosion so I took it easy and felt really comfortable riding down it, the only bad line I picked was at the very bottom and it was a bit scary. Once at the base we stopped and re-grouped, the weather was so nice we ended up riding up to the start of Pipeline, and back to town via the avenue which starts out steep and rocky but mellows out as you get closer to town.  Wild Bill the owner of the the Leadville Hostel went around taking pictures of all of us, when we returned to the room, this what was on my door, we all had pictures of us on our room doors.

Our Bedroom Door, has pictures of myself and roommate Noah
Later in the afternoon I went to town and met up with Steven for a cup of coffee, shared a pizza with Robert had some laughs with the other residents and now headed to bed, its pouring rain outside, we got lucky this morning and had a great day to ride.



Comments