Leadville Day 6 You just spin forever….

Day 6 Strava Data http://www.strava.com/activities/174058191

Today the plan was to ride from Twin Lakes up to the Columbine mine the half way point in Leadville Trail 100 race, your at approx 12,300 ft sucking for oxygen!  I haven't been up there since my 2010 race and was happy to be returning. Heading out it was just very grey and overcast but as we started the ascent it began to rain we all put rain slickers on an headed up, the first miles are sloping switchback forest roads, all the way to tree line. I rode at the back with my friends Stephen and Noah, as I mentioned in Race Across the Sky 2010 you get into a spin and just keep moving forward one pedal stroke at a time. The temp was low 30's to mid 40's for the most part I was warm but for some reason today my toes were frozen, may have to get some booties,  you never know what race day will bring we have had rain and cold every day this week. When we get to whats called the A-Frame an old A shaped frame of some sort Stephen who was riding his fat bike and Noah turned back and I continued on my own until I connect with fellow Michiganian Al Lake, it was his first day in Leadville and he had ridden Vail the day before,  we rode together for awhile above the tree line. Art and the group were quit far ahead of us but again my legs were tired from 6 straight days of riding and I just wanted to keep my own pace and not blow up.

Meeting at Twin Lakes

Stephen in front of the A-Frame
Riding above the tree line brought back many memories of my past Leadville 100 rides, almost felt like the race, I was walking sections I always walk, remember the spot where the RATS camera man asked me how I was feeling.  Having tired legs helped keep it real because in the race you are 45 miles into the race, and they should nice and tired on Aug 9th as well. Above tree line the course gets steep and rocky until your about mile from the turnaround then it gets a bit smoother.  As I get closer Art and the group is on their way down, he shouts a your almost there keep going, and I wasn't about to turn around you see I had some motivation in my back pocket, 2 pennies!  in 2012 my friend Ricky McDonald made a tribute to a good friend of ours who had passed away, John always wanted to do the complete LT100 but he had ALS and it wouldn't allow him to, he once said he wanted to come home with a penny in his pocket, so Ricky left a penny at the mine to tribute John in 2012 and there are now many pennies up there.  In 2011 John did ride in the race from Leadville to the first aid station at Pipeline, I saw John that year descent down the backside of St Keven's as I had crashed out of the race,  I cheered him on as he passed by, a memory I will always cherish. The other penny is for my friend Mikey, Both John and Mikey were introduced to me by Grace Ragland who was also featured in RATS 2010,  one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, Mike passed away last year , he had finished the LT100. Once at the top I met up with Al and we took pictures for each other, afterwards I walked over to the mine and left my 2 pennies, a moment later the sun came out, I think they both wanted to let me know that they were there with me :)  I shed a few tears as I left and began my descent back to twin lakes.

riding above tree line 
In front of the mine
Leaving my 2 pennies.
It was so peaceful up there today!

As much as your legs hurt riding up to Columbine, your hands hurt from braking on the way down, I took it easy as the roads were wet and very soft I didn't want to wash out and chance a crash. 30 or minuets later I'm back at the base and see that Robert and Bonnie had waited for me, we rode the last couple miles out together and before I knew it were back at Twin Lakes, it was another good day on the bike! We loaded up and made our way back to the hostel where we all ate, later I was craving a burger so Art, Robert and myself went to the one of the local dive bars that has excellent burgers, I had a buffalo burger and man it tasted soooo good, food earned tastes twice as good :) went back washed my bike and now I'm sitting here typing and ready to crash. This weekend is Boomtown days here in Leadville, tomorrow I'll be part of the parade, probably do a short recovery ride at some point and hang out in town for the burro race and other events, the entrants actually run a full marathon with a burro in tow!

Comments

  1. Usually the burro tows the runner, although it can be the other way around at the end of the race as runners try to get their asses across the finish line. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment