Leadville Day 8 Climbing up the Devil...

As easy as yesterday was today was a hard day, well hard but not quit what we will be experiencing on race day, today we rode up the infamous Power Line.  I had my usual breakfast of oatmeal and greek yogurt, got my hydration ready and rode down to town with Art and the group to meet up with the other riders who would join us. We had another big group today, and had the pleasure of having Ken and Merilee the founders of the LT100 stop by again. A little after 9am we headed down the valley and over to the base of Power Line, on race day "the devil", it was cool so when we got there knowing that we would be climbing for awhile everyone removed layers. We all started up together the first part of it very ridable, but it quickly gets steep and most of us end up walking it, a few of the stronger riders do ride it, but on race day with 80 miles in your legs its much much different, thats why I call it the devil, the climb becomes a demon you must conquer its a total mental battle, you do whatever it takes to get yourself over that mountain, from here to the finish is where you earn your buckle.
Empty Powerline

And were off!
I'm slowing getting dropped by the group but I have to ride my own pace, my legs are tired from lots of miles this week, I can still make it up and over but again at my pace.  On our way down the to the valley we passed a large group of riders, it was ride that Rebecca Rusch  the "Queen of Pain" and multiple winner of the LT100 was riding with, well soon after heading up Rebecca's group caught us and she passed by me riding the whole way up along a few other riders including Tim Cummerford of Rage Against the Machine who is trying for a sub 9 hour race. Also in the group were Eldon (Fat Cyclist} Nelson and his wife the Hammer who was also right on Rebecca's wheel, very cool to see them all. I continue on my way and about half way up I stop to take some pictures it is beautiful up there, I continue grinding my way up the devel, not real fast but keeping a steady pace. As I get closer to the top two of the riders in my group Esteban and Grant come back down I guess to make sure i was ok they rode with me for a bit but I told them to go ahead we were close to the top anyway. Finally I see the light at the top of the mountain and ride up to huge group of people it was both Rebecca and Arts group together, guess I missed a photo op with everyone, oh well. 

Rebecca and Tim passing by me
The view half way up
Rebecca's group rides back down the power line and we head down the sugarloaf pass back to the turquoise lake to the boulevard and back up to Leadville, as always I had good moments and bad ones thats riding. Today was the Burro Race where entrants have to run 22 miles with a Burro in tow, very fun to watch, well we had one of the runners staying at the hostel and he mentioned having an extra burro with him, so everyone at the kitchen table volunteered Donny a runner from Ireland staying here at the hostel, everyone pitched in $5 to pay his way and off he went.  After riding we drove up behind Leadville to see him pass thru in the race but we were a bit late and just missed him but did see others come thru, matter of fact I heard there are still runners on the course while I type this. 
Burro Racer
Art, Michael, Robert and a few other watch the race high-up on the mountain
After watching for a bit I headed back to the hostel packed a small bag and headed over to Breckenridge, I had to check into the resort I will be staying at for the 4 days prior to the race when Pat gets here, I think it will be good to get out on my own for those days and be with my sweety to relax and not worry or think about the race, my training will be done and its time to taper off until saturdays race day. I pull into the resorts parking lot and some old dude backs into my truck ughh but there is no damage and I tell him its ok no worries and head in, they tell I can't get into the room until 4pm so I head over to the Breckenridge Brewery for a sandwich, its the first time I have ever been there and not had a beer. The resort calls me so I head over, check in and get all situated, its a really nice place between peak 8 & 9 up on the mountain not in town. I shower relax a bit and head back to Leadville as get to town its raining again. I run into my friend Grace at the hostel who just got back from riding in Scotland we talk a bit and here I am writing my blog and heading off to bed, tomorrow will be an easier day some climbing but not like today, probably my last ride here in Leadville until race day.

I stopped at this lake for some reflection on my way to breck, its breathtaking

Comments