Comfortable feeling Uncomfortable!





Over the years I have done many difference races, Xterra triathlon, duathlon, running, cyclocross, road, downhill, dual slalom, and my favorite XC mountain bike where I have competed in local series races, 24 hour, 12 hour 8 hour, 6 hour, 100 mile, 100K, 50 mile, marathons etc, you get the idea I've been doing this a long time, there have been years where I competed in over 30 events.   I've raced in approx 8 states and 4 countries including the US, I love variety, the unknown,  new challenges. Some races have been very special to me, Mount Snow NORBA National was always a favorite course, Mohican in Ohio, Lumberjack 100 where I'm 0/3, and of course the Leadville Trail 100 do you see a pattern here? Yes I love variety.  I have been entered in Leadville 6 times, year #1 I had to quit 10 miles short due to back spasm's, year #2 I finished in 12:45 a finish but no buckle, the 3rd I couldn't go due to my wife's illness, #4 was one of my most memorable races ever, I just barely finished in 11:56 but I earned my buckle and on top of that I was featured in the movie Race Across the Sky 2010 it was absolutely amazing Leadville year for me and I should have called it quits then.  In 2011 I went back only to crash out 6 miles into the race, and 2014 I made it to the turn around rode back down to the twin lakes aid station and walked away, probably for good, I don't see myself going back again. Why you ask,  I'm not a repeat it over and over kind of person,  wouldn't say I get bored but I have a difficult time getting motivated to do the same think over an over again, thats just me!  In 2013 I went to Europe and raced in the very first Bike 4 Peaks stage race, we covered 200 miles and 30,000 ft of climbing in 4 days thru the Alps, what an amazing adventure it was, never having done  a stage race before and finishing, it gave met that feeling of satisfaction the one that drives me to race and keep racing. Athlete's are all different when it comes to what motivates  them, anything from money to a beer! For me its seeking out variety, the unknown, putting myself as far as I can into my discomfort zone mentally, physically every way I can! I love to travel and see the world and its cultures and for me to see and experience different places and not knowing what I'm  getting myself into is exciting and motivating, the past 3 years I have race my bike in Germany, Austria, Italy, Skied in France, and in another few weeks I'll be headed to Greece just to vacation, but trust me there will some type of activities, new places, new people and most importantly new adventures!  There have been people who question my thoughts on the Leadville 100 race when I say I have no need to ever go back, yes I have a few issues with the race but I would say most people who remember the race from before it was popular would feel the same way about overcrowded start and things like that. I love the town, I love my Leadville family, and I'm done with the race its to comfortable for me not in a physical way, believe me its a hard race! In the next few years I have my eye on events like, Breck Epic, Trans Europe, Trans Schwarzwald and a few others, and if I never race again thats ok as well, hmm maybe i'll train for a 1/2 marathon or marathon or maybe take up gardening,  you see its not about the race, the medal/buckle or my race time, this is about me and my drive and placing myself deep into the unknown and the excitement I get from that, it always has been always will be! There are so many cool events in the world, to do the same thing over and over again, well thats just not me.  We all have different things that we love, that drive and motivate us in what we chose to do in life, I might love the color orange :) and hate the color white, if world was all orange I would find it boring, throw some white at me, make me uncomfortable, this will bring a smile to my face.

If your interested you can read about my Leadville, Bike 4 Peaks and other adventures here on this blog by going back in its history.

Comments