Sounds that make your heart sink!

This morning I decided to ride while it was still cooler out, we're expecting high's in the 90's today, so I dressed got ready and headed out. My plan was to ride from home up to Stony Creek, do a lap of the single track, some of the two track, head over the Paint Creek Trail and back home, a 30+ mile ride.  I roll out and most of the ride is uneventful, although where the Clinton River Trail crosses Avon, there was some commotion police car;s, fire trucks and a bunch of cyclists, I thought maybe someone was hit by a car crossing, but to my left there was a large SUV lying on its side against one of the light posts, a roll over accident, I crossed and kept on riding. Soon I was at Stony Creek and started in on the trail, I was feeling ok, not sure if I'm still recovering or the travel time off the bike hurt me, but my legs felt like crap and my heart rate was running on the high side, I'm sure its a combo of lots things. I was having fun, and passed quit a few people, I get to the second to last climb and pass a couple of women hiking, they were walking the opposite direction, I shift up one gear and there it was, that sound of metal carnage, my pedals had locked up so I was quick to unclip and let out a loud %$# I knew this was bad! I look down and my rear derailler is twisted up into my spokes, and I see at least 4 of the spokes just sheared right in two, almost perfect cuts! Ughh I'm 10 miles from home and my drivetrain is trashed. I try to call my son but he's still sleeping, so I call my friend Keith, he lives just outside the park, he answers and is home, so I walk to his house and get a ride home from him, Thanks Keith!

One view of the carnage

This is not good!
After I get home I start to really look at it, 4 broken spokes and a few other heavily damaged, the rear derailler completely twisted, to the point where the carbon cage is cracked, that takes allot of force. The frame & hanger are still in perfect shape thank goodness, its a brand new frame, the chain had a separated link and twist in it. So New chain, new XTR rear der, and one whole side of my wheel needs new spokes, Ughh I went into Cycletherapy and got things ordered up! Not a good day on the bike thats for sure!

Comments