Welcome to Leadville

 Here I am typing from 10,200 ft with a slight headache in the living room of the Leadville Colorado Hostel, what am I doing here? in 2 weeks I will racing in the country's highest 100 miler the Leadville Trail 100 and I have this love hate relationship with Leadville, first and foremost I love the many friends I have made here, love the town, the highest in the US, love the daily training rides, love the hostel and hikers and bikers you meet here,  but I hate the race! Well I don't really hate the race, 104 miles, 11,000 ft of climbing,  I hate the pain I will be experiencing August 9th, having finished the race twice now, and proudly wear the World Famous Belt Buckle,  I'm 2/4 and know what I'm in for.

My 2010 Buckle and Hoodie
After crashing out of the race in 2011 I decided I was done with it, have my buckle and don't need to come back! But here I sit, ughh! Last year I raced in Europe did a 4 day stage race thru Germany & Austria, 200 miles 30,000 ft of climbing (see my June 2013 blog) and after being back for a few months I had some personal issues and I needed a goal for 2014, and I needed something to keep both my mind and body busy, I'm a very goal oriented person and need a purpose to ride hard, not only does Leadville give me this, but I get to see the many friends I have made here over the years. Another bonus, the person I do most of riding with Art Fleming a 10 time finisher is going back and we did lots of training together.  Why am I here with a low grade headache? Oh yah the race, uhhh yah,  Leadville is about much more than the race, and its not something I can descried other than to say if you come here and the only thing you go home with a buckle, you've missed out on allot! So anyway I will be updating my blog from here for anyone that is interested.

Comments

Post a Comment