Leadville Day 9 Hagermans, Sugarloaf, up and over St Kevens

Todays Strava Data: http://app.strava.com/activities/175512727

So tired yesterday, I slept close to 9 hours and I never sleep that much, nice to know I'm getting my needed rest. Today was the last of the longer rides, we did quit allot of climbing but kept our pace slow it was the last section of trail I need to have ridden the complete course this past week, Since my arrival I have logged 214.2 miles and approx 18,000 ft of climbing not quit what I rode last summer in europe during the Bike 4 Peaks race, but fun training miles for sure, fun with my Leadville family. As we have started every morning we rode down to the valley and over to Turquoise Lake over the dam and to Hagermans up and over St Kevens which is the final 20 miles of the race. Its mostly climbing and during the race this is where you really need to push yourself, its a grinding climb and will test your metal toughness you will "Dig Deep". There are a few very steep sections I believe Art said 17% at one point. We rode the whole way up and over but during race when you have 80 miles in your legs its a different game! Once you get over St Kevens it all downhill and we were flying down it, at one point there was a white SUV coming up the road and the person didn't move over enough to give us save passage, it scared the hell out of me as I thought for my handlebar was going to clip the truck but I made it thru. We rode out to the road and then back to town via the boulevard. I stared to feel pretty tired toward the end of the ride and could easily got to sleep right now.

Stephen deep in thought
Robert & another rider talking trail
Road Sign
Umm drooping bandana!
Bonnie hammering away 
Stephen & Robert riding up Keven's

Stephen & Bonnie waiting on group to catch up
Stephen, Bonnie & Robert, nice bunny ears!
Stephen trying to mount an XL Roberts XL frame
Art riding up the trail
Art always giving us course advice

After eating some lunch I went with Art to the Lifetime Leadville Race Series Headquarters where we spent a few hours straightening out and stacking marking flags, it was nice to relax and help out at the same time.

Wild Bill owner of the Leadville Hostel greets us 
At headquarters working on marking flags

Comments

  1. Have enjoyed reading every day, Tom. Nice job. And now... enjoy the rest of the week, rest up, eat and sleep well, and best of luck on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, hope it all goes great on saturday!

      Delete

Post a Comment